About me

Hello, My name is Gina and I am a mom of 3 great children who keep me super busy along with working for Weight Watchers and doing hair from my home. So I guess that I am a part time stay at home mom, but still a full time mom. I love to cook when I have time and all the ingredients needed on hand. That is why dinner can sometimes be a hard time for me. I get home from soccer, football, dance, and on and on, and not knowing what to fix for dinner. The kids are hungry and it is 6:00. That is why I am doing this. I am hoping that it will get me more organized and I hope it will help you ease the pain of thinking what to fix for dinner when it is late and you have been on the run all day.

Friday, January 30, 2009

BRAZILLIAN SAUSAGE AND BLACK BEANS WITH SPICY RICE

2 t. cumin seed
4 large garlic cloves, divided
2 t. olie oil, divided
1 c. chopped onion
½ t. salt
2 c. chicken broth
2 (14 oz. ) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
½ small orange
2 c. fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs
4 ½ c. hot cooled long-grain brown rice
4 t. hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
1 T. red wine vinegar
3 (3oz) links spicy jambalaya chicken sausage (such as al fresco), diagonally sliced into 1-inch pieces
2 c. chopped orange sections. (about 4 small)

1. Place cumin seed and 1 garlic clove on a cutting board; finely chop.
2. Heat 1 t. oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Add cumin seed mixture to pan; cook 30 seconds. Add ½ t. salt, broth beans. And ½ orange to pan. Bring to boil ;cover, reduce heat and simmer 35 minutes. Uncover and cook 8 minutes or until liquid it absorbed. Remove orange from pan; discard.
3. Place remaining 3 garlic cloves and 2 cups parsley sprigs in a food processor; process until finely chopped; scrape parsley mixture into a large bowl. Add rice, hot sauce and vinegar to parsley mixture; stir well.
4. Heat remaining 1 t. oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage to pan; cook 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Spoon ¾ c. rice onto each of 6 serving plates; top each serving with ½ c. bean mixture; ½ sausage link. And 1/3 c. oranges.
5. Makes 6 servings; 5 pts per serving.

No comments: